Wednesday 20 April 2016

Bean looking for Autumn plantings?

Right now my paws are busy planting broad beans for a spring/early summer crop. I've managed to get over baby rabbit trauma with regard to this legume, and I now very much enjoy them picked young, parboiled, and then stir-fried with a little olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add feta cheese, salami, chorizo, or bacon if you wish - they all go beautifully!



I'll also be getting my garlic in soon. Garlic can go in as cloves anything up to a month or two either side of midwinter, and gets harvested a bit after midsummer.

Winter greens like red mizuna, green mizuna, lettuce, giant red mustard and land cress can still be started from seed inside, and planted out once they're a few inches tall.



The other thing I'm planting from seed now is peas. I won't get a crop off them until spring/early summer, but they'll pop up now and sit through the winter at just a few inches high (they're very frost and snow hardy), and then they take off in spring. The advantage of doing this is that they develop a good root system over winter and get a huge head start on peas planted in spring. This trick works both with edible peas (choose from the podding varieties Alderman Tall, Dwarf Shelling, Prolific Pink Podding, and Dutch Blue, and the mange-tout variety Goliath in my Felt shop) and flowering sweet peas.


No comments:

Post a Comment